Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Sweetest Alarm


 In the morning You hear my voice, O Lord; in the morning I prepare [a prayer, a sacrifice] for You and watch and wait [for You to speak to my heart] . PSALM 5:3

 Until our children are ready to wake up on their own, we moms often play the role of alarm clock. It’s a simple task but one that can provide some of the most precious moments of our day. For each mom and child it’s different, but we might trace the slope of their noses or brush the hair out of their faces so we can plant a soft kiss on their foreheads. Our whispered “Good morning” or “I love you” are the first words they hear.

 God does the same for us. He caresses our faces with the warmth of fresh sunshine and makes us smile at the birds’ morning chatter and songs. He whispers that He loves us and that He has great plans for us to follow. He reminds us that we don’t have to face the day alone.

 The problem is, answering a squawking alarm clock and focusing on morning routines can steal our attention from God’s gentle wake-up call. We jump from bed and rush to get out the door. We think ahead to things that will need our attention that day in an attempt to stay one step ahead of the game. It might seem counterproductive at first, but the best way we’ll stay ahead is by stepping back. Even responding to God’s wake-up call with a simple “Hello” or “Come be with me today” can put us in the right frame of mind for the day.

 God delights in those early morning wake-up calls. We know how our children’s drowsy smiles and hugs warm our hearts when we wake them. Taking a few minutes to tell God “Good morning” is just as pleasing to Him.

Dear God, thank You for waking me to each new day. Remind me of Your presence, and show me ways to remember You’re near, from the very minute I open my eyes. Amen.

No comments: