Friday, August 15, 2014

The Makeup Mask

Psalm 51:7b - Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow (NKJV)
Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. PSALM 51:7

    Our morning routines might change a bit as we go through different phases of motherhood, but one thing usually doesn’t get eliminated completely: the cleansing, moisturizing, and makeup ritual. Some days we might spend twenty minutes or more going through the steps. On others we feel lucky to splash water on our faces and slap on some foundation and mascara. Either way, we’re making an effort to look a little better for the world.

   The freshness of color fades and the smooth matte finish disappears by day’s end, leaving us with remnants that need to be washed away. We’ll start fresh again the next morning, but at bedtime we’re laid bare before ourselves with mirror and glaring lights: natural skin with no makeup to cover blemishes, bags, or other perceived imperfections. We go through the same cycle with the person we present to the world versus the person God knows we are—natural and covered up, over and over.

    It can be hard to reveal our true selves to the people around us. So many other moms seem to have their lives and situations under control. Admitting that we don’t can be humbling or downright terrifying, and we don’t want to look like a mess. So we put on our public face and only let our closest confidantes glimpse pieces of the truth.

    The mask we wear in public doesn’t last forever, just like our makeup. It also never hides our true selves from God—and He loves us anyway. Even if we never want to share some things with others, we can come clean with God. Whatever we’re facing and however we feel about it, God loves us and can help us through it. We just need to have the courage to be honest with Him.

    Lord, the world might expect me to seem perfect and all put together, but I know that You don’t. Thank You for loving me no matter what. Give me the courage to be clean and honest with You so I can get through whatever problems I’m facing. Amen.

No comments: